Release notes 0.8.2
Bitcoin-Qt version 0.8.2 is now available from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.2/
This is a maintenance release that fixes many bugs and includes a few small new features.
Please report bugs using the issue tracker at github: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues
How to Upgrade
If you are running an older version, shut it down. Wait until it has completely shut down (which might take a few minutes for older versions), then run the installer (on Windows) or just copy over /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt (on Mac) or bitcoind/bitcoin-qt (on Linux).
If you are upgrading from version 0.7.2 or earlier, the first time you run 0.8.2 your blockchain files will be re-indexed, which will take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on the speed of your machine.
0.8.2 Release notes
Fee Policy changes
The default fee for low-priority transactions is lowered from 0.0005 BTC (for each 1,000 bytes in the transaction; an average transaction is about 500 bytes) to 0.0001 BTC.
Payments (transaction outputs) of 0.543 times the minimum relay fee (0.00005430 BTC) are now considered 'non-standard', because storing them costs the network more than they are worth and spending them will usually cost their owner more in transaction fees than they are worth.
Non-standard transactions are not relayed across the network, are not included in blocks by most miners, and will not show up in your wallet until they are included in a block.
The default fee policy can be overridden using the -mintxfee and -minrelaytxfee command-line options, but note that we intend to replace the hard-coded fees with code that automatically calculates and suggests appropriate fees in the 0.9 release and note that if you set a fee policy significantly different from the rest of the network your transactions may never confirm.
- New icon and splash screen
- Improve reporting of synchronization process
- Remove hardcoded fee recommendations
- Improve metadata of executable on MacOSX and Windows
- Move export button to individual tabs instead of toolbar
- Add "send coins" command to context menu in address book
- Add "copy txid" command to copy transaction IDs from transaction overview
- Save & restore window size and position when showing & hiding window
- New translations: Arabic (ar), Bosnian (bs), Catalan (ca), Welsh (cy), Esperanto (eo), Interlingua (la), Latvian (lv) and many improvements to current translations
MacOSX: * OSX support for click-to-pay (bitcoin:) links * Fix GUI disappearing problem on MacOSX (issue #1522)
Linux/Unix: * Copy addresses to middle-mouse-button clipboard
- -walletnotify will call a command on receiving transactions that affect the wallet.
- -alertnotify will call a command on receiving an alert from the network.
- -par now takes a negative number, to leave a certain amount of cores free.
JSON-RPC API changes
- fixed a getblocktemplate bug that caused excessive CPU creating blocks.
- listunspent now lists account and address information.
- getinfo now also returns the time adjustment estimated from your peers.
- getpeerinfo now returns bytessent, bytesrecv and syncnode.
- gettxoutsetinfo returns statistics about the unspent transaction output database.
- gettxout returns information about a specific unspent transaction output.
- Significant changes to the networking code, reducing latency and memory consumption.
- Avoid initial block download stalling.
- Remove IRC seeding support.
- Performance tweaks.
- Added testnet DNS seeds.
- Cases where wallets cannot be opened in another version/installation should be reduced.
- -salvagewallet now works for encrypted wallets.
- Entering the 'getblocktemplate' or 'getwork' RPC commands into the Bitcoin-Qt debug console will cause Bitcoin-Qt to crash. Run Bitcoin-Qt with the -server command-line option to workaround.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to the 0.8.2 release!
APerson241 Andrew Poelstra Calvin Owens Chuck LeDuc Díaz Colin Dean David Griffith David Serrano Eric Lombrozo Gavin Andresen Gregory Maxwell Jeff Garzik Jonas Schnelli Larry Gilbert Luke Dashjr Matt Corallo Michael Ford Mike Hearn Patrick Brown Peter Todd Philip Kaufmann Pieter Wuille Richard Schwab Roman Mindalev Scott Howard Tariq Bashir Warren Togami Wladimir J. van der Laan freewil gladoscc kjj2 mb300sd super3