Bitcoin-Qt version 0.8.2 is now available from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.2/
This is a maintenance release that fixes many bugs and includes a few small new features.
Please report bugs using the issue tracker at github: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues
How to Upgrade
If you are running an older version, shut it down. Wait until it has completely shut down (which might take a few minutes for older versions), then run the installer (on Windows) or just copy over /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt (on Mac) or bitcoind/bitcoin-qt (on Linux).
If you are upgrading from version 0.7.2 or earlier, the first time you run 0.8.2 your blockchain files will be re-indexed, which will take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on the speed of your machine.
0.8.2 Release notes
Fee Policy changes
The default fee for low-priority transactions is lowered from 0.0005 BTC (for each 1,000 bytes in the transaction; an average transaction is about 500 bytes) to 0.0001 BTC.
Payments (transaction outputs) of 0.543 times the minimum relay fee (0.00005430 BTC) are now considered 'non-standard', because storing them costs the network more than they are worth and spending them will usually cost their owner more in transaction fees than they are worth.
Non-standard transactions are not relayed across the network, are not included in blocks by most miners, and will not show up in your wallet until they are included in a block.
The default fee policy can be overridden using the -mintxfee and -minrelaytxfee command-line options, but note that we intend to replace the hard-coded fees with code that automatically calculates and suggests appropriate fees in the 0.9 release and note that if you set a fee policy significantly different from the rest of the network your transactions may never confirm.
- New icon and splash screen
- Improve reporting of synchronization process
- Remove hardcoded fee recommendations
- Improve metadata of executable on MacOSX and Windows
- Move export button to individual tabs instead of toolbar
- Add "send coins" command to context menu in address book
- Add "copy txid" command to copy transaction IDs from transaction overview
- Save & restore window size and position when showing & hiding window
- New translations: Arabic (ar), Bosnian (bs), Catalan (ca), Welsh (cy), Esperanto (eo), Interlingua (la), Latvian (lv) and many improvements to current translations
- OSX support for click-to-pay (bitcoin:) links
- Fix GUI disappearing problem on MacOSX (issue #1522)
- Copy addresses to middle-mouse-button clipboard
- -walletnotify will call a command on receiving transactions that affect the wallet.
- -alertnotify will call a command on receiving an alert from the network.
- -par now takes a negative number, to leave a certain amount of cores free.
JSON-RPC API changes
- fixed a getblocktemplate bug that caused excessive CPU creating blocks.
- listunspent now lists account and address information.
- getinfo now also returns the time adjustment estimated from your peers.
- getpeerinfo now returns bytessent, bytesrecv and syncnode.
- gettxoutsetinfo returns statistics about the unspent transaction output database.
- gettxout returns information about a specific unspent transaction output.
- Significant changes to the networking code, reducing latency and memory consumption.
- Avoid initial block download stalling.
- Remove IRC seeding support.
- Performance tweaks.
- Added testnet DNS seeds.
- Cases where wallets cannot be opened in another version/installation should be reduced.
- -salvagewallet now works for encrypted wallets.
- Entering the 'getblocktemplate' or 'getwork' RPC commands into the Bitcoin-Qt debug console will cause Bitcoin-Qt to crash. Run Bitcoin-Qt with the -server command-line option to workaround.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to the 0.8.2 release!
- Andrew Poelstra
- Calvin Owens
- Chuck LeDuc Díaz
- Colin Dean
- David Griffith
- David Serrano
- Eric Lombrozo
- Gavin Andresen
- Gregory Maxwell
- Jeff Garzik
- Jonas Schnelli
- Larry Gilbert
- Luke Dashjr
- Matt Corallo
- Michael Ford
- Mike Hearn
- Patrick Brown
- Peter Todd
- Philip Kaufmann
- Pieter Wuille
- Richard Schwab
- Roman Mindalev
- Scott Howard
- Tariq Bashir
- Warren Togami
- Wladimir J. van der Laan